Re: Fourth-section test pieces. was Re: Finals disqualifications

Samantha Harrison wrote:

> However, the hardest piece we played was in section 4 in 1995 when
the test
> piece was Gilbert Vinters Vizcaya. Out of about 20 bands the
adjudicators
> made a comment that he had only heard a couple of bands play the
piece..on
> this occasion we came 2nd (Elland Silver).

Then Ian Philips added:

>>I don't know that piece, so I can't say whether it really was that
difficult......

Well I do and it is.

I said then and I say now, I'd be very surprised if any 4th Section
band could do this piece justice, especially under contest
conditions.
I know the standard of all sections has improved over the years, but
I still don't think that 4th section bands can cope with a piece of
this difficulty.

I wasn't at the 4th Section Finals when this piece was selected, so I
obviously can't comment on the standard of play on the day, but
Samantha  gives a good account of this in her submission.

What should be borne in mind though, is that the Regional Qualifying
piece for that year was Malcolm Arnold's "Little Suite For Brass
No.1".

Quite a contrast in my opinion.

Cheers,
Sandy