Re: Contests/Concerts

David Williams wrote:
Contesting can become an obsession to some bands instead of a hobby. The general
public regard them as trivial events and are not interested. How many national
papers even report the National results ? ... I notice Sellers International did
not do very well at the Masters....but a few days later they gave a terrific
concert for folk in Huddersfield Town Hall.   That's what I call banding !

Here here.  We get terribly excited about contests but they are, in reality, tin
pot events.  A good analogy is choirs.  Recently our band has had some dealings
with a very good choir for a concert.  They told us that they have national
contests too and they have done very well at these contests.  I for one had
never heard of such contests and I didn't know whether to be impressed or not.
So, I suppose like most musicians, I judged them on what I heard.  Surely, most
people in the general public would have to do likewise if they were honest.
Another way to judge the importance of contests is in respect of the bands
themselves.  I know Phillip Sparke at Polyphonic never signs a band to do
recordings for a period of time.  This is because he believes the standard
varies so rapidly in amateur banding that he may be stuck with an obligation to
record a cruddy band.  Another way to judge it is to consider how people judge a
band long term.  There are a number of non-contesting bands which are highly
regarded, both in civilian circles and of course in Salvation Army circles.
Why? Because they play well and give good concerts.  Some also make good quality
recordings.  I have no doubt that contests do add an edge to bands - improve
their live playing and reduce the number of takes required in recordings.  But
at what cost?  The same benefit would be achieved (and is achieved by
non-contesting bands) by performing live a lot.  And we would be rid of the
angst and back biting and resentment and bad feeling which ALWAYS follows a
contest.
Glenn McGowan
Kew Band