Re: Area Pieces

D4VIS@xxxxxxx wrote:

> The only bit of gossip i have heard is that the top section piece is 13 and a
> half minutes long and is a new piece       it doesnt tell us much  but my
> betting is that after last years "visit to the past"  all sections should get
> new pieces

I am full of admiration for Mr. Davis and his excellent band, (particularly as
they always seemed to keep beating the band that I conducted at the time Bedworth
Brass in competition).  However - I have some reservations on his desire for new
pieces, it seems at any quality, and his apparent dislike when he is asked to
"....Visit the past".

I have recently returned to full time banding after several years 'away' playing
golf - and the thing most noticeable, particularly at the highest level, is that
modern day test pieces are exactly that, contrived to do nothing else but 'test'
the band on an almost purely technical level, usually with 97 time changes, 114
key changes and bizarre dynamic requirements, lasting anything from 17 minutes or
more, largely never to be used again..  So many of the test pieces are extremely
difficult to play, and therefore fill the 'Test Piece' criteria, but
unfortunately are then instantly forgettable.  Whilst I've been writing this I've
been trying to hum to myself a few bars of the test piece that our band last
played...................nope......couldn't do it........gave up and whistled
Variations On A Ninth instead ........in it's entirety!

Let us not be too derisory of the past.....for by looking to the past we can plan
the future.  (Now let me see...when was Three Figures written).

Colin Randle.