Re: Repiano Cornet

On Thu, 02 Sep 1999 at 23:25:47 -0700, Jim Littleford wrote:

> Could someone please help me out?  I am wondering what the term "Repiano
> Cornet" means.  I am familiar with the term as it pertains to baroque music but
> I can't figure out what it means in a brass band.

I'm sure there'll be more detailed and accurate replies about the exact
usage of flugelhorns in band arrangements, but it's really just another
cornet part. I've always been amused that somehow a brass band has ended
up with four or so 'solo' and only one 'repiano' cornets. It's also
ended up with far more instruments on the dominant (Bb) pitch than the
tonic (Eb), but that's another issue.

Rep mostly fits in with the cornet harmony parts, so you have 'solo' (4
off), repiano, 2nd and 3rd. Some arrangers make it double the
Flugelhorn throughout, which seems daft to me; if you want to vary the
tone-colour with a flugel, why mix it with yet another cornet?
Is this simply tradition? After all, the Flugelhorn is an oddity as the
last remnant in the band of the keyed bugles.

[FYI The Baroque ripieno was the 'tutti' section as opposed to the
    'concertante'. A 'concerto grosso' (e.g. several of the
    Brandenburgs) would have one-per-part in the concertante, and
    several-per-part in the ripieno, which alternate in playing.
    Concertante players were/are paid more and get their names on to the
    record sleeves.
]

> I look forward to the replies of those wiser than I.
So do I.

Ian