Re: Repiano Cornet

In message <37CF69E9.FB65A0D9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jim Littleford
<jim_littleford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
>Hello List,
>
>Could someone please help me out?  I am wondering what the term "Repiano
>Cornet" means.  I am familiar with the term as it pertains to baroque music but
>I can't figure out what it means in a brass band.
>
>I look forward to the replies of those wiser than I.

I can't agree with that (I had to look up the Baroque meaning); in fact,
I'll tell you what my Oxford Dictionary of Music has to say on it:-

'In Baroque music, a section marked 'ripieno' (Italian 'filled') was to
be played by all members of the section. This applied to both
instrumental and vocal parts. The term (in various spellings) has become
corrupted by brass and concert bands to mean a player not on the first
part.' (not an exact quote, but with the sense of it)

I don't agree with that last bit. I was told that Repiano as in cornet
meant 'extra', and while linguistically wrong, it handily sums up the
position of the repiano cornet in the band- it's treated as almost a
second principal cornet, with plenty of exposure, and not too much hard
work- it can also work with the back row to balance the section; very
different from the bumper-up position.

Dave Taylor