Re: Repiano Cornet

Hi Jim,

>Jim Littleford wrote:

>> I am wondering what the term "Repiano
>> Cornet" means.

For what it's worth ...
As a writer grappling with the problems of brass band scoring and balance,
I always assume the rep player is a strong cornetist, and use the part in a
variety of ways ... sometimes extra support for the solo cornets, sometimes
extra support for 2nds, sometimes in duet with principal cornet or sop,
sometimes in small group or quintet sections to give the solo cornets a
rest, sometimes in trio as sop, rep, and flugel, and so on ... I treat the
part as a resource to be employed in different ways ... this is how I
interpret "repieno" meaning "extra" ... I'm sure that the same results could
be achieved using the SA three part scoring and writing divisi as needed.

... as for doubling the flugel part, I don't make that a standard practice,
particularly since I write a separate line for the flugel  ... on the score
between the 3rd cornets and solo horn ... and I like to use the flugel as
the top part in a horn quartet ...and other combinations ...

Hope this helps

Lloyd Hiscock
Tenor Horn, Woods Manufacturing Brass Band, Ottawa, Canada