Re: Sydney Olympics

-----Original Message-----
From: Carol WILLS <carollee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sunday, 5 September 1999 1:11
Subject: Re: Sydney Olympics

>I'm sorry you feel that way Ron, but don't you see, that's the point that
so
>many (and not just brass band people, but the outraged general public) are
>trying to make.
>
>Okay, you were one of the lucky ones who got to be a member of the Sydney
>Olympic Band, so obviously you got asked to be in it, or invited to try out
>and made the team, I'm not sure how it worked.
>
>But consider the rest of the states, people who don't happen to live in
>either New South Wales or Queensland, I believe.  Other states weren't even
>given the opportunity to try out that you've obviously been afforded.
>
>That's one of the points that people are trying to make.
>
>I wish you good luck, but the major thing is, it's Australia hosting the
>Olympics and as such the ceremony should have been planned as being totally
>"Australian" -  Not "International" and the Olympic Committee in all their
>greatness, should have thought about that before planning it any other way.
>
>Carol Wills

Come on Carol"  anyone of any note in the Aus band scene would know from
seeing me front Waratah Brass  that there's no way that I would be chosen to
march in a Schools Olympic band both my age and "Build' would preclude me
from this gig. Another thing I do not hide behind aliases and sign my name
to what ever I write to this page. I happen to be looking after a young man
from out of the area and obviously he has submitted this from my computer
and realises that by putting his name to this he would be breaking his
agreement with SOCOG.  Back off all of you who are only mouthing hot air
about a subject you know little about.

whilst addressing you Carol, you also waffled on about a protest at the
nationals in S A  rules are there to try to make a level playing field for
all bands .In your mind where would one stop ? let bands play 30 players
because it makes it easier to win( in their minds) play a march that takes 8
mins instead of 4 etc etc .this was not an isolated incident in contests in
the last few years we have even had a band play a contest march from the
orchestral rep. needing 2 sets of tympani to play it," this was done to test
the system".  protest put in ,result the organisers had accepted the piece
so it was awarded points pushing other bands down the agg. list  Its obvious
that we either have people with no knowledge vetting the music or its not
looked at ,at all either way the system is not satisfactory and only by
continuously protesting about the wrong in all strata of Society will
anything ever get changed . Once again you are entitled to your opinion but
please get the facts correct before airing your views to this list perhaps
to the detriment of another band or person

Ron Grice
always happy with the result if the playing fields level.