Re: Area Pieces (a reply)

hi colin and all that have taken this topic   up for debate

firstly thanks for the compliment  I too am an admirer of your band who with
have riddings have always enjoyed the fellowship of at the contests we have
played in together.

you mention the excellent gilbert vinter in your reply and i feel that this
just goes to prove my point.  What am I going to get nostalgic about if we
don't commission new works.   yes i conceded that not everything written will
be good, or even used again, but isn't this the case throughout the history
of original brass band music.   for every gem there must be a lot of
mediocrity just look at a contest programme from the 60's and see how many
pieces you have heard of.

To possibly reopen a contentious topic though, good music doesn't have to
contain something you can hum along to.  if the music contains atmosphere
generated by the use of tone colours and harmony or rhythmic effects is this
bad music?

as we all know beauty is in the "ears" of the beholder when it comes to music
and long may this continue.

and finally to close wasn't gilbert vinter's music considered modern and way
out in the 60's and 70's when it was written, considered too avant garde by
the bandsmen of today, and now this excellent music is generating nostalgia

so what am i going to get nostalgic about if no new music is written :-)))

regards to all

John Davis

PS if you are coming to the finals at Nottingham say hello and put some faces
to the names