Re: Area Pieces (a reply)

-----Original Message-----
From: Colin Randle <colin.randle@xxxxxxxxx>
To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 07 September 1999 18:16
Subject: Re: Area Pieces (a reply)

I remember playing Variations On A
>Ninth when it was subsequently used at area level when I was a Tenor Horn
>Player.  It was modern I suppose because it was contemporary...

Contemporary? Hmm.  I reckon if you had to categorise any of Vinter's pieces
they would come under the general heading of 'romantic'.  The romantic
period of music came to an end in round about 1920 when the likes of
Stravinsky, Berg etc. were plying their trade.  A set of romantic variations
written some 50 years after The Rite of Spring, contemporary?  Not sure I
agree with you there.

Alec