Re: Sydney Olympics

I always believed this list to be an open forum for anyone interested in Brass
Banding. I would suggest that Mr Ron Grice realise his audience is not just
"anyone of any note in the Aus band scene"

Ron Grice wrote:

> Come on Carol"  anyone of any note in the Aus band scene would know from
> seeing me front Waratah Brass  that there's no way that I would be chosen to
> march in a Schools Olympic band both my age and "Build' would preclude me
> from this gig.

Being someone of "no note" and having seen Mr Grice front Waratah Brass I
didn't for one moment believe that he had been chosen to march. I did however
believe that because of his standing in the Banding community it was
conceivable that he could have had some involvement in the teaching of the
Schools Olympic Band and therefore be considered as part of the band. I never
considered that a man of such standing would allow his email address to be used
for the sending of such  a contentious anonymous email. As a consequence I too
mistakenly believed the email signed "a person who knows" (not anon) was from
Mr Grice.

> Another thing I do not hide behind aliases and sign my name
> to what ever I write to this page. I happen to be looking after a young man
> from out of the area and obviously he has submitted this from my computer
> and realises that by putting his name to this he would be breaking his
> agreement with SOCOG.

By sending an email under the address of one of the best known Musical
Directors in Australia does Mr Grice honestly believe this young man is keeping
his agreement with SOCOG

> Back off all of you who are only mouthing hot air
> about a subject you know little about.

This list is all about discussion and as such will contain some "hot air" - I
sight Mr Grice's email as a prime example. The whole "Olympic Marching Band"
fiasco has received huge media coverage in this country and as a result the
general public has been presented with many facts. It has been discussed
endlessly in the print media, on radio, on TV and in pubs and band halls
through out the country. I would suggest that Mr Grice try to understand that
it is not only those "of any note in the Aus band scene" who know of this issue
or are allowed to have an opinion.
An arrogant Ric Birch got his backside kicked because he thought he knew better
than anyone else and refused to listen to others whom he believed were "only
mouthing hot air".

> whilst addressing you Carol, you also waffled on about ......

I was amused that Mr Grice allowed Carol to be "entitled to your opinion" about
a past issue but in light of present issues described it as "waffle". He may
believe that attack is the best form of defence but he will never stop anyone
having their opinion - he should just be more careful as to who has an opinion
via his email address.
To check if the playing field is level, one must first get of their high horse

Regards
Tony Kavanagh
someone of no note in the Aus band scene