Re: Adjudicators

Hi all,

Firstly, I'd like to say that these my own opinions that I will be
discussing.

St Marys Brass host the Ern Keller contest on yearly basis and we as a
committee have had to deal with this issue repeatedly. As the sole sponsor
and organiser of the event I believe that we have the right to decide what
we want our contest to be about. Bands are invited to compete and all prize
money etc is provided by our most generous sponsor, The St Marys Band Club.

In answering your question, it is very difficult, we tried publishing our
expectations, to  competing bands as well as the adjudicator of course. The
added difficulty is the fact that it is called an Entertainment contest and
I am sure we are all aware of the debate this can cause. I personally don't
want to be entertained by funny hats and jumping clowns. I want to be
entertained by great playing. Of course this raises the whole issue about
the public perception again. We have over the years heard many interesting
comments by adjudicators, some of which seem all to distant from what we
are trying to achieve with the event.

I would say, choose your adjudicator carefully, if you find out enough
about the adjudicator you should be able to find out what he/she is about
and if it fits in with your contest go for it and hope for the best.
Fortunately for us, I think despite watching a band get on stage with bears
all over there instruments while playing the teddy bears picnic or
something, they still out played everybody on the day anyway so victory was
well deserved. I just wouldn't want to see such an event get further and
further away from music and turn into some flashing lights expo or
something.  (Bit like playing a CD of bird noises during a test piece eh?)

As a last resort we could probably screen the adjudicator so that he can't
see anything but we really don't want to do that.
I have always been interested what some of the MDs who compete or have
competed at Keller think about this issue, perhaps you'd like to say a few
words?

Steve Harlow
St Marys Brass

Richard Luckhurst <rickl@xxxxxxxxxx>