Re: Sydney Olympics and British Open...

-----Original Message-----
From: Van Emmerik, Matthew <Matthew.Van_Emmerik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, 8 September 1999 5:01
Subject: Re: Sydney Olympics and British Open...

Ron you seem very bitter about a few points or problems in the Aus
Band Scene, instead of writing and moaning on this list, why not get
in contact with the NBC or Chris Earls magazine and have your say
there.  The more people talk about these subjects the less gets done.
The more people taking action ie: doing something about it, making
or letting everyone know about it, the problem becomes easier to
handle.  I am hoping to read a nice article in ABW in the next month
or two regarding some of these points, if I do not, that means that
this subject is not that important, hence why talk about it??????....

Matthew there was nothing bitter about what I wrote the person chosen to be
in the olympic band would at least know what he's talking about re this
band,and as far as I could see everyone else is talking second hand so that
makes it "hot air" as far as I am concerned. What has Chris's magazine got
to do with getting the rules sorted. You will soon get to know being as
where you're playing now that there's not many "nice "( your words) articles
in banding,its all about winning a contest the loyalty and dedication of not
too many years ago is missing from the area of banding you are now in.My
first visit to the U.K. was in 1977 and for the next 10 or so years there is
no way that you could have gone over there and dep.with the top bands as so
many australians seem to do.You would never go for instance to a Black Dyke
concert and see a new face filling in, all the players had commitment to
their one band.
 Also the NBC are well aware of the problems with the definition of a march
but appear so far not to want to do anything about it.Whats the difference
in rules broken when one can get you disquallified from the Aus. nationals
for playing the wrong player????  I also seemed to remember you talking in
ABW about bringing back some of your experiences to help in the Aus.band
scene what happened? You can't change anything fron 12000 miles away.

Anyhow the best of luck to you and JJB for the open also say gooday to
Richard for me.
See you when i,m next over.

Ron