Re: British Open 1999

all@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< All that I'll say on the result is that the top 5 were very close, however
 I was surprised that Fodens weren't placed higher. Their are more qualified
 people than we to comment on the result than I, so let the debate begin!!

 Just a couple of other quick thoughts. Was it anticipated that the contest
 would take 10 hours, and the mystery of the day, what happened to Desford
 at the end of their presentation? >>
Just got back from the Sunday 'Concert of the Century' in Birmingham. Lots of
wonderful playing but at nearly 7 hours duration a little too long. Are 2
test pieces in one 45 minute set too many? Thank goodness for the compering
of Richard Evans during the Leyland set.
Re the Open, I also thought Fodens were unlucky. The draw didn't help,
neither did the slight blemishes on sop, but the performance made far more
musical sense than many I heard, appeared to take fewer liberties with the
score than some of the bands that beat them (messrs Gourlay and King for
instance) and was very well played. Having said that YBS were stunning and
won deservedly IMHO. They were also robbed blind last year. I also thoroughly
enjoyed Faireys performance. I understand that Desford's last bar was not
conducted as rehearsed! I got the impression that the Dyke players felt they
had a point to prove!
The day was far too long. A test piece of that duration is too long with a
field of 23 bands. For once the movement of percussion seemed fairly
sprightly thanks to the assistance of the Fodens team. It is, however, surely
unfair:
i) to ask a band to play nearly 11 hours after the draw and
ii) to ask adjudicators to spend that long in the box

Martyn Pattinson
Bedrock Brass