Re: OPEN CHAMPIONSHIPS

Hi
I enjoyed the day and the piece. From a competitors point of view the
organisation was good but I have a couple of criticisms: the bass trom solo
at the beginning is marked 'very distant' and this effect was impossible to
achieve on stage due to the very resonant acoustic. I wanted to put my guy
just off stage (and a number of others did too)which would have been ideal
but they wouldn't let us. He played only 7 notes so that seemed a bit petty.

Also the changeovers took way too long. Whilst the help was much appreciated
to achieve just over 2 bands to the hour on a 16/17 minute piece is too
slow. I felt very sorry for the bands drawn late as the hall was empty (eg
Whitburn/Flowers). This was simply due to fatigue I am sure.

The hall was fairly resonant again and a lot of the detail was lost. Two
years ago on Whitsun Wakes the acoustic seemed much better. This year was
the same as last year.

The other observation which I made was that many bands allowed their
percussion to obliterate the band on occasions - even some of the top
placings.

Jeremy