Re: British Open 1999

Having read some mails about the Open I would like to contribute and add my own
perception.

It was indeed a long day, certainly driving overnight from Belgium but I loved
every minute of it and heard 20 of the 23 bands.
I must agree with some other mails I'd expected Foden's to be closer. My ranking
list was YBS, B&R, Foden's, Fairey, Dyke,...
YBS was musically the best band, King brought something others did not, I was
impressed again by their interpretation. You just have to wait and see if the
adjudicators appreciate it, and they did now as they did not last year with
Diversions on a Base Theme.
B&R brought the clearest playing of the day IMHO. Very clear opening, the only
band that made the sharp accents (as the score asked for), very good
mute-playing, the quietest ppp of the day by far (breathtaking),... to me the
best 1st part of the day.
Foden's had the brightest sound, and brought beautiful legato's (also the day
after on the concert I was surprised by their legato playing, even at the march,
is this one of the choices Nick makes, Phil?). Very good basses indeed (well done
Phil). I do not believe a later draw would have helped them, the adjudicators
just made their choice and I am sure they did not need more then say 2
performances to "feel" the piece.
Dyke were safe but sounded to loud for my taste as Grimethorpe, JJB and some
others were too.
I feel James Watson made a good choice to put the sop in front of the band.

I am just wondering now it is not difficult for adjudicators to know who is
playing, certainly not the top bands:
Dyke are the only band that gets an applause when entering the stage, I am
experiencing this for 20 years. It starts to be a bit disgusting!
Fairey have the longest end note in the field, even if YBS is keeping it long,
Gourlay looks like adding another few seconds.
Childs has the brightest legato playing.
YBS is the most musical
You recognise Mead from a mile away
AND SO ON. Very funny, why don't we take the curtain away?

Cory had some mighty dynamics and were well appreciated by a lot of people. Well
done Jeremy.
A pity Desford were unfortunate with their end, I guess Mr Newsome tried a
ritenuto that wasn't written/rehearsed, just a guess as I can remember happening
the
same on one of my former European contests, isn't it Stef?. They gave a clear
performance and all the rumours I hear/read about a young band which is formed
just
for the day, well it does not look like. I felt they deserved a better place.
I also felt Withburn could have been closer.

I must say the solo horn, euph and trombones had a hard solo job. Surprisingly,
the principal cornet had an easy contest this time. Why? A cornet looks more like
dove then a euph does, or is it because euphs a doing more virtuosi playing
nowadays then cornets do? I feel it would have tested the bands even more then
with the euphs.
Solo horns had a difficult job certainly on the top D, and we saw quite some
bands giving it away to the flugel, others gave the bottom note away to allow to
prepare the top note,...I feel only Sheona played it all and faultless, bottom
note was as loud and same sound of high note, just fantastic.
The soloists were really tested with a lot of virtuosi playing, diminuendos to pp
on high notes,...Dove Descending is a real masterpiece, and we
should all be grateful to have Mr Wilby. I am only afraid it is so difficult and
dangerous for soloists we will not hear it a lot, maybe on the European?

Although we all know the standard of British banding is very high, I am still
astonished how so many bands and especially their soloist were playing so well,
they
could all cope with their nerves and only some had real problems. But then the
job was really hard for them. Especially the youngsters (Desford, Marple
trombones,...) I admired a lot, they just go for it!

I was at the highest level in the hall, but had no real problems with resonance,
maybe just some in the 1st part. Indeed Jeremy, I was wondering the whole day why

the bass trombone was not further away with all bands. At the concert the day
after we had Grimey's principal off stage in Shadow Songs and it made a great
effect,
that would have been certainly better!
Percussion obliterating the band, yes indeed, especially the tom-toms. Maybe it
was due to the fact they used percussion which they are not used too. But then
they
should come early before the first people enter the hall and test the sound of
all instruments. Simone did a great job, as a former percussion player I know
it's
sometimes like a nightmare to get it all ready on time just to see your cymbal
isn't there. The birdsong was interesting although most bands had it too loud
IMHO.
Only some percussion players found the right balance with the euphonium. YBS'
bird song went up and down although not written on the score, but a real
improvement.

I am pleased I went, the contest was very very interesting. I learned again from
many performances and as also our regular adjudicators as Roy Newsome, James
Scott,... were on stage, we hopefully can take the experience on our next contest

I was also pleased to see quite some Belgian people over there, well done
countrymen!

The Open is the greatest contest in brassband world for sure! Can't wait to go
again next year.

Edy Van Asch
Belgium