'The Open'

Well done Y.B.S. from me personally and all at GUS.  You gave a
thrilling performance to win this year's 'Open'.  I hope Philip Wilby
was there because I venture to suggest that he will probably never hear
a finer live performance of this contemporary(sic) work than that given
by the winners.

The music wasn't without its logistical problems though.  I listened to
9 performances and as a trombone player was intrigued by the various
formations used to attempt to get the best effect.  Most bands, as
indeed did our band, tried to adopt the layout shown on the score.  The
winning band had the tenor troms. standing in situ with the 2nd trom.
facing away from the audience and bass trom pointing out the door.  JJB
had the whole crew in a line at the back of basses.  All of it to no
avail.  Because of the elliptical shape of the sliding panels at the
rear of the platform it all sounded the same no matter where they
stood.  The panels were doing the job they were designed to do and that
was to project the sound forward.  The opening acoustic doors up in the
side walls had no effect on the band sound on the platform because the
rear panels sent the sound forward from whatever angle.  Likewise all
those cornet sections who contorted themselves in pointing away from the
audience to achieve ppp.  Their sound came through slightly louder!

These problems were a peculiarity of the music rather than the hall.  I
must admit it was the first time I had seen Symphony Hall and it is
magnificent, (although not as big as it seems on the telly).  It's
interesting to note that not so many years ago, (1978), Coventry Band
under Kenneth Dennison and playing Benvenuto Cellini were rebuked by
'The Authorities' for having the troms. stand up during the final bars.
Tut-tut, not the done thing at the time don't you know!  Now - were
instructed to do it.

It was the first time I had played at The Open since 1986 - remember
that year?  TWO test pieces - Fusions and two movements from Epic
Symphony, and I can honestly say that I don't think I have ever known a
contest to last 10 hours.  Non of us want to be drawn first - but the
next worst thing is to be drawn last of 23.  Good grief, it was
marathon.  First band on at eleven am, and we walked off the platform at
nine pm!  Let's all instigate a new rule - no test pieces over 12
minutes!!!  The place was packed till mid afternoon then fatigue set in
and loads of people went home worn out.  During the results there were
plenty of empty seats around the hall, with a resultant lack of atmos.
When the result was announced there was a cheer that lasted 10 seconds
then people just got up and ambled out - knackered. This may have been
because the result was a forgone conclusion, or the fact that if you
didn't have a ticket they were keeping people out on the door!

Interesting to see various people's views on Foden's placing!

Colin Randle.