brass band anecdotes needed

Hi everybody!

I've been lurking a while due to an exceptionally busy time getting the kids
back to school.  Sorry to everyone I've been ignoring!

Our band, Cuyahoga Valley Brass Band, is currently planning and organizing 2
major concerts this fall. The first, called "Brass at the Palace"  will be
held at an old restored local theater - it was built in the 1920's.  (Before
all you Brits start laughing, remember our country isn't very old - so a 70
year old building is old to us!)  The concert will feature Russell Gray, and
will benefit our band and the Palace Theater.  Its a Sunday matinee,
November 7th at 3:30pm.

The second, "A Celebration of Christmas" will be a gala Christmas concert to
benefit the local Salvation Army.  It will be Saturday December 18th at
7:30pm at Umstattd Hall in Canton.

I'm currently working on developing a really nice printed program for each
concert.   We are including advertising, and I need to have more content
then our typical descriptions of the band, history, director etc...so the
advertising doesn't dominate the program too much.

I would like to include short anedotes from brass bands around the world as
filler on pages that are mostly ads.  I have read so many interesting
stories on this list, that I'm sure there are many available.  SO...

I'm inviting submissions for our programs for our fall concerts.  Please
send to me your amusing, amazing or touching anecdotes about your band
experiences.  We are the only brass band in the area, so most of the
audience will be new to brass bands.  That means that any story which
depends on knowing a certain individual or band's reputation won't work.

I'm not able to pay anything to the contributors, but we will credit the
individual, their band name, and their city and country.  I would love to
show the newbies in attendance how big brass bands are worldwide.

For the Christmas concert, stories related to Christmas concerts or
Salvation Army bands are especially appropriate.

I'd really enjoy seeing anything people would like to share.  If other bands
are interested in using this idea - I'd be happy to compile the stories I
receive and send them on.

Thanks!

Mary Ellen Lathrop
2nd horn