Re: March definition

Ron,

Fully agree - the situation on the march is completely out of hand here.
Barrie Gott has penned a good letter in the next issue of Australia's Band
World which raises many of the same concerns and comes up with a solution
(possible).

I think one of the problems here is that there is no consistency from one
year to the next on what is a march, what is a hymn etc.

We need a National music board to oversee these situations to achieve
consistency from one year to the next.

At the moment, the NBC makes these musical decisions, and while they are no
doubt well-intentioned, not all members of the NBC are experienced
musicians.

BTW Ron, I think it a letter unfair to exclude Monkey from this debate. He
had some intelligent comments on the marching event in Adelaide this year,
eg: "Where's the bar . . . I've never been to a Nationals with a bar
handy."

And judging by his gait on the march, mobile phone swinging from hip, he
has obviously progressed past the demands of playing Frosty the Snowman ...
oops, it must that time of year for bass trombone Christmas solos to
emerge.

Chris Earl

Ron Wrote;