Re: Fw: March definition

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999 at 15:15:00 +0100, David Taylor wrote:

> This is still slightly fudgy; perhaps if a band suggested that tympani
> were suitable for marching with, then they could be required to
> demonstrate:) The 'standard brass band' should be slightly open to

Timps are perfectly good marching instruments; and I venture to suggest
that they originated that way - as army instruments.  But, of course,
the timp player does so mounted on a horse.

I'd really like to see someone try *that* at a marching contest :-)
Oh, and I wouldn't like to be in the band following...

> It's
> probably not necessary to monitor this too closely - a band that played
> something else would presumably be penalised by the adjudicators anyway.

... which opens up another can of worms, of course. I'd feel happier
entering for a contest if I had confidence beforehand that the
adjudicator wouldn't simply write "that wasn't a march".

Ian