Re: March definition

> But encouraging composers to write marches???

Sure, why not.

> Surely we have enough of this rather archaic form to satisfy our needs,

Who says it's archaic? I never have enough new music of any genre to
satisfy my needs - that's why I make music. If I felt my musical needs were
satifsied I'd have stopped by now.

> and should be encouraging them to write in more subtle and interesting

Who ever said that marches can't be subtle and interesting? I didn't.

> ways. (Of course, if a composer had a vision which could only be
> expressed as a march, then that's different...)

The only vision which drives most music these days is pound signs.

> Dave Taylor

-Nigel

--
Nigel Horne. Arranger, Composer, Conductor, Typesetter.
Owner of the brass band group of the Internet. ICQ#20252325