Re: Fw: March definition

Ron Grice wrote:

> >By the way if anyone can pen a foolproof definition please post it.

and David Taylor replied:

> How about something like:- "The march to be played should be in duple
> time, or a multiple thereof, with the duple unit occurring at between
> 110 and 130 beats per minute. It should be played by the standard brass
> band, with a percussion section using only instruments that can be
> carried, marched with, and played on foot by a single person each."
> Subject to approval, obviously.

Defining musical forms seems like very dangerous territory - if
the form or content of their works could really be summed up in a few
words the composers probably wouldn't have bothered.  For most
composers, I suspect, musical forms are not like jelly moulds into
which they pour their thoughts but integral elements of the piece
along with melody, harmony etc.

Every march is different and although there are common traits there
will always be exceptions to any rule.  The Parachute Regiment in the
UK think that the 'Ride of the Valkeries' is a march in spite of the
fact that it is in a clear 3-in-a-bar 9/8 time, and I for one am not
prepared to argue with that fine group of music lovers.

I've always understood that march contests were all about style and
technique - getting these right seems much more important to me than
whether or not timps are allowed, or getting bogged down in fuzzy and
ultimately meaningless concerns of definition.

Yo

David