Re: Brass in school, and when the children leave!

On Sun, 26 Sep 1999 at 22:48:26 +0100, Colin Johnson wrote:

> Also, please forgive my possible ignorance, but cornet players, trombonists,
> horn players, euphoniumists? etc can continue to play in a brass-band, of
> which there are hundreds and hundreds of, but where can a clarinet player,
> or a flautist, or any other woodwind instrumentalist continue their hobby
> twice a week?

This isn't really on-topic for the bblist, but here goes anyway.

The obvious answer is orchestras or wind bands, but once you have a few
contacts, there is lots of scope for wind-chamber music playing as well.

Around Cambridge, there's also a thriving clarinet group, which plays
what I suppose is remarkably similar to the brass band - they have
a range of clarinets from EEb contrabass to Eb soprano (or whatever it's
called) with the (F) bassethorn on the way.

Unfortunately, flutes and clarinets, being cheaper and easier to play,
are a lot more common that bassoons or oboes; it's usually easier to get
a blow if you're a bassoonist than a flautist.

> An interisting debate could ensue!
But probably not here.. there is, I'm sure, a clarinettists' mailing
list.

Ian