Re: Marches

a contributor wrote:

In form, anyway, the march is a specifically unsubtle thing- play a
tune, play another tune, change to a related key (preferably the
subdominant), play a few more unrelated tunes, and then repeat the
first
bit. It can be used as a vehicle to develop musical ideas, but how
many
go beyond the basic form? In fact, it could be argued that doing
anything really interesting with a march interferes with it's original
and generally most important purpose. This is where we have to
separate
the point of a march from the more abstract idea that is a march
specifically for performance.

Im going to say something really controversial here, risk being
ostracised by my peers and never be allowed to darken the hallowed
portals of Nigels illustrious group again, BUT <deep breath>

What a load of pretentious twaddle.  IM<very>HO this sort of misguided
nonsence is why brass bands are having great difficulty with filling
concerts.  People want to hear music to listen to - we have had it
confirmed time and again this summer by audiences seeing our MD or end
chairs after our concerts and telling us that despite the fact there
have been MOST prestigious bands playing in the same venue over the
preceeding weeks, they MUCH prefer our band because we play them music
they want to hear.  Not music that we want to play (although life's a
compromise aint it?)

We as a band dont contest (its in our constitution) AND we try very
hard to improve our standard of playing.  Our solo trom this very
weekend has been invited (and is doing so) to dep 2nd trom (encumbent
on hols) for a championship section band in a "small beer"
entertainment contest for example.

As long as we maintain the brass band structure from the turn of the
century, we are destined to play music created in the "golden years"
of brass banding.  AT least if we expect an audience to enjoy our
playing, that is.  I took my kids to Disney in Florida this summer and
saw a pro  brass ensemble that would blow the socks off the majority
of us for both musicianship and for entertainment.  And I include the
current "greats" in this very sweeping statement.  But they (Disney
Pro's) werent a brass band and they were able to play and present
music in a style that the Brit Brass band format could not
contemplate.

Oh, and all their instruments poked forward just like a cornet.  Even
the basses!  (Contrabass bugle I think they are called).  No troms
either!  Euphonium called Mellophone or summat like that (poking
forward).

<gets off soap box and retires to sound of catterwauling and threats
of lynching>

Steve Larwood
Euphonium, Melbourne Town Band
http://www.mtb-brassband.com