Re: Fw: March definition

In message <270CF433BE1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David Lancaster
<d.lancaster@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

> For most
>composers, I suspect, musical forms are not like jelly moulds into
>which they pour their thoughts but integral elements of the piece
>along with melody, harmony etc.

Still, it does help to have the underlying pattern sorted out before you
begin writing - you can then stretch it or mutate it as you wish while
composing.

>Every march is different and although there are common traits there
>will always be exceptions to any rule.  The Parachute Regiment in the
>UK think that the 'Ride of the Valkeries' is a march in spite of the
>fact that it is in a clear 3-in-a-bar 9/8 time, and I for one am not
>prepared to argue with that fine group of music lovers.

To be fair, in the official version of the Parachute Regiment march,
although the Trio section is recognisably 'The Ride of the Valkyries',
it does stretch the 2nd beat of each 9/8 bar, to make it 2 6/8 bars,
which isn't outside the definition. A march that's not in duple time, I
would say, is probably not meant to be marched to, but is intended
merely(!) as a martial piece for concert performance. There is one
somewhere that's just popped into my mind, but I can't remember the
title; by Edward Gregson or someone like that. It's got changes from 4/4
to 5/4 and various other times in it. Still, if there was a group of
people who would wish to march to something not in duple time, it's
probably the British Army:)

How about Stravinsky's march from the Soldier's Tale? The bass keeps
right on going Tonic, Dominant, Tonic, Dominant (in as much as these
terms mean anything in this) for the whole piece, while the rest go
through various complex time changes.

>I've always understood that march contests were all about style and
>technique - getting these right seems much more important to me than
>whether or not timps are allowed, or getting bogged down in fuzzy and
>ultimately meaningless concerns of definition.

That's fair enough - I was merely offering a definition in the spirit in
which it was asked for.

Yo

>David

Dave