Re: Marches

David Taylor wrote:

> In form, anyway, the march is a specifically unsubtle thing- play a
> tune, play another tune, change to a related key (preferably the
> subdominant), play a few more unrelated tunes, and then repeat the
> first
> bit. It can be used as a vehicle to develop musical ideas, but how
> many

The same generalisation can be thrown at sonata form. Many of the greatest
works of the classical and romantic eras were in sonata form. I'd hardly call
them unsubtle or unsatisfying.

-Nigel

--
Nigel Horne. Arranger, Composer, Conductor, Typesetter.
Owner of the brass band group of the Internet. ICQ#20252325