Re: Brass in school etc.

cameron Mabon wrote;

One problem that I have recently encountered in the Scottish Borders is
that all trombonists are taught to play in bass clef, which means that th
ey
can read only the bass trombone parts in a brass band. This is presumably
because the parts trombonists play at school are in bass clef.
well;
I know exactly how you feel, being a trombone player myself I had
the same problems in school. However for me it was the other way
round. I ahad been born into a family of brass band players and so
naturally I was only taught treble clef. When I started having
lessons at school it was frowned upon that I hadn't been taught
bass clef!! So I learnt it and was able to play in all of the county
Orchestras, wind bands Big Bands and many more.  It does annoy
me when some teachers think it's only right that a trom player
should only learn one clef.

Just wait till alto clef is sprung on an orchestra part, then the mind
really has to get working and the days of sitting at the back of the
orchestra reading a paper with a pint in hand go out of the window!!!!

Good luck all trom teachers!!! and pupils!!!

Becky Plant

Ratby Band