Re: Brass in school etc.

John Mabon wrote:

>I do not advocate teaching solely in treble clef, but see no reason why
trombone
>players should not be taught to read in more than one clef.

Couldn't agree more. Even though brass banding isn't quite as popular on
this side of the pond as it is in the UK, trombonists should at least be
adept in both bass and tenor clefs. The minute differences between Bb treble
clef and tenor clef have already been discussed and need not be repeated
here. The point should be stressed, however, that trombone players
everywhere, regardless of whether or not they play in brass bands, should be
familiar with tenor clef. From there, it's you're just a couple of
accidentals away from Bb treble clef.

Allen Lawless
alawless@xxxxxxxx