Contests/Concerts.

Steve Larwood  told how his band Melbourne Town, Derby.UK has a"concert
only" policy, which I think it to be applauded.....a band that actually
realises that  the prime purpose of a band is to entertain folk !  We all
know the old argument that contesting improves the standard of a band...but
surely one or two a year should be enough.   It is understandable that the
top bands have to do the Open and National....but some have big money
sponsorship to pay the costs.    How do the other section bands find the
funds for conductor, travelling costs.etc. instruments, insurance, bandroom,
etc.   ....if they don't earn from concerts.   I have known the times when
the village would
turn out to greet a winning band from a contest.  But these days "it don't
mean a thing" to the general public, no more than the local bowling team
winning a cup !  I realise that turning a band out for an engagement (fetes
etc.) costs a lot, but my plan would be to  try splitting a band ....say
half the band to play at a reasonable charge at a carnival, etc. Even a
quartet is better than nothing !   Somehow, bands must get back to playing
for their communities once more ....music to suit all tastes, young and old.
Maybe they will find it is more enjoyable and satisfying than weeks spent
practicing for a contest that usually ends in disappointment...and a waste
of money .  Still I suppose that's how some folk get their kicks. But hang
on....did,nt one recent poll show that most players preferred concerts to
contesting ?    A last thought for us all to ponder one.  I believe most
people would agree that our top bands are the best in the world....one of
the few things that the country can really be proud of....when did our
millionnaire the soccer players last win the world cup, a tennis players win
Wimbledon ?.....and so on !   The people who spend their time organising all
these contests should get together to make the media, broadcasters ,etc.
aware of the potential of our bands and that there are many thousands who
would like to hear a band in popular radio programmes now and again.
Cheers.
Dave Williams.