Re: Test Pieces - likes and dislikes

>My favourite test piece, both to play and listen to is Aotearoa, "Land of
>the Long White Cloud", except I don't have handy who wrote it, sorry.  It's
>very descriptive, you can almost imagine the dips and waves in the sea as
>the boat sails over it to discover land, and at some points in the piece I
>swear the flugel horn sounds like seagulls hovering over the boat!
>
>Haven't played it for a good many years, it's probably rated as a "B" Grade
>test piece over here in Australia.

No , i think Aotearoa is still an 'A' grade test .

I would have to say my favourite test peice is a tie between The Essence of
time(Peter Graham) ,
A London overture(Phillip Sparke) , and Tryptich(Phillip Sparke) . On hates
I would include Purcell Variations and Music for a common man (both Kenneth
Downie)

Rob Simpson
Euphonium