Re: Test Pieces - likes and dislikes

Ali Richards wrote:

> With the subject of test pieces being raised recently I was wondering if
> everyone had their own favourite test pieces (of whatever standard) and ones
> that they could not stand to play or listen to?

Gudday, list.

I can't say I have one favourite, but a selection of my favourite "major works"
(they're only test pieces when played at a contest) :) would have to be:
Cloudcatcher Fells
In Memoriam RK
Contest Music (shame about the title)
Songs for BL
Revelation
The New Jerusalem
Montage
Lowry Sketchbook (Fantastic middle movement)
Images
Resurgam
Pageantry (years ahead of its time - at least in band music terms!!)

Unholy Sonnets
Ragtime & Habaneras (Not actually test-pieces, but cool music all the same!!)

My least favourites of the more well-known works would be:
Cambridge Variations (Too many notes, even the "slow" section)
Isaiah 40 (ditto)
Much of Sparke's later stuff (Sorry Philip)
English Heritage (like all George Lloyd band pieces, he has some great ideas and
sounds, but then goes and spoils it with the insipid little tunes towards the
end)
Royal Parks 3rd mov't (for the same reasons, which is a shame, because the 2nd
movement is awesome)
King's Messenger (ditto)

How about a poll on the top 20 and bottom 20 pieces of all time?

Cheers,
Adrian