Re: Brass in school etc.

Why is this limited to trombones? In military bands
Euphs, baris and Basses all have to play in bass clef.
In most areas I would presume they are taught in
treble so this would affect the number of players who
can join these bands.

I'm a trombone player that was taught bass clef at
music centre and then learnt treble when I was
introduced into the world of brass banding. Already
being able to play the piano I didn't find this too
much of a problem but I can now play bass, treble and
tenor competently. I think all brass players should be
musical enough to want to learn all clefs (except alto
which was developed by Satan himself)after all, bass
and tenor are the only ones in 'real' pitch!

I hate euph/bari players who whinge they can't play
trombone parts at small band jobs because "I can't
read this stupid clef, what do you mean 'knock 2 flats
off and play most naturals as sharps?".

Rob

====