Re: Marches + more twaddle

David Taylor wrote:

> Also, Nigel - yes, sonata form on it's own is not inspiring, but people
> like Beethoven et al took it and did something inspiring with it. Who's
> done this for the march? Sonata form also allows a bit more leeway from
> the composers point of view (assuming you stick rigidly to the form -
> which almost all march writers do)

Sonata form was only defined and classified after
Beethoven's death, so he can hardly have 'taken it' - it
was a common understanding that this was how first
movements were put together, in the same way that marches have
developed a characteristic shape.  But the best writers always break
the mould: consider The Cossack, Black Knight (both Rimmer), Knight
Templar and Mephistopheles - I've deliberately chosen well known ones
- and I'm sure that you'll agree that they hardly conform to your
definition of 'a string of unrelated tunes'.  They're so much more
than that!

The Contest March is really the only original musical form that has
been generated by the brass band - I'm in no doubt that we need to
continue to play these classics AND add new music to the genre.

I heard Philip Sparkes' Navigation Inn recently - a terrific piece,
fiendishly difficult but definitely owing more to Knight Templar than
Bandology (which can''t be said for most recent offerings!).

David