Trombones clefs etc

I once had the following debate with a respected music teacher (who was
teaching my A Level course and was a double bass player)

he said that a trombone was a non transposing instrument and i said rubbish
it has to be a transposing instrument, as no matter which clef it is written
in its fundamental note is always a Bb (or Eb if it is an alto trombone).

he eventually agreed with me.   anyone out there disagree

John Davis