Re: Brass in school etc.

 Allen Lawless wrote:

>Even though brass banding isn't quite as popular on this side
>of the pond as it is in the UK, trombonists
>should at least be adept in both bass and tenor clefs

The point I would like to make is that to learn only treble clef may stunt a
young trombonists development and ultimately the brass band movement.

My experience is that by learning to play in different clefs, I have been
able to bring different styles and techniques into my brass band playing
that I wouldn't have had if I had been limited to treble clef in the brass
band environment only.

When I first started I played bass trombone in a brass band I would often
cover missing Eb bass parts by reading as bass clef and 'adding the extra
three flats'. I later moved to and still play tenor trombone in treble clef
in a brass band. My earlier experience allows me to cover missing lower horn
parts. Playing lead trombone in bigbands was a different experience all
together. It is bass clef between 1 and 6 ledger lines above the stave all
the time. Although it was difficult to read initially, it did make more
sense to the ear being in concert pitch again. Small ensembles regularly
swap clefs between one piece and the next. Orchestras and military bands use
bass clef but sometimes use tenor clef and even introduce alto clef on
occasions. Being flexible in reading a variety of clefs enables a player to
gain experience in other music forms which must be a good thing for brass
bands as more and more music in danceband, pop and modern styles is being
produced.

It is only brass bands that advocate the treble clef for lower pitched
instruments. Although this may make some sense for players to make the
transition from one valved instrument to another, it is different for the
trombone. Trombone players usually start on trombone, and when valve players
do convert to slides they have to learn position/note association from
scratch anyway. A trombone player who has to swap from tenor to bass or vice
versa for the first time has to learn the new position/note association. For
this reason, it would make more sense to standardise on a common clef for
trombonists.

My view is that until clefs are standardised across all musical groups,
young trombone players should aim to gain experience in all clefs,
particularly if they are likely to take it up as a profession.

Mark Smith
mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx