Re: Test Pieces - likes and dislikes

>>My band is rehearsing Blitz at the moment, and I think its a
>fantastic
>>piece of music that is also fun to play.Generally I like Bourgeois'
>>testpieces;Forest of Dean, Devil...  A piece that I didn't like
>playing was
>>Spectrum, which IMHO is rubbish....
>>
>>Best wishes
>>Bo, euphonium
>>Lyngby-Taarbek Brass Band, denmark

I find Bourgeois' music a bit odd - fun to play, but when you listen to
it, ultimately a bit unsatisfying; something just seems to be slightly
missing. The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea is especially like this - I
loved it when I played it, but when I heard a recording of it it didn't
speak to me at all. However, I've never quite forgiven him for
completely tearing apart an organ fugue that I took to show him on my
first NYBB course, so perhaps I'm biased.
Spectrum is a nice piece, though I can't say that I agree with all of
his depictions of the colours - orange, yellow and green are ambiguous
enough, but the blue seems a bit funny - a very hard and brittle light
blue is what he's thinking of, I suppose.

IMHO Philip Wilby is just superb. Is that too obvious a thing to say?
Revelation and ...Dove Descending are excellent, but Paganini Variations
just shades them still, though it's close. Rhapsody in Brass is also a
favourite, although the percussion parts could be usefully burnt.
Wilfred Heaton's Toccata is very good too, even though it's not a test
piece (another dodgy definition!).

Dave
--
David Taylor