OK Boys & Girls, open your minds for a fresh view.

Dear complacent list:

"John M. Fisher" wrote:

>     Steve - wanted to reply, but mentioned drum corps recently in a
>     post to the list and don't want to step too far out on that limb.

John I understand why, the Brass banders on here seem to take no
prisoners.  Im just a bit braver (or more stupid) than some and I
think the list needs stirring up a bit.  SO Im doing my bit.  I hope
you wont hate me in the fullness of time for using parts of your
private message on the list (hate mail to me, boise, not John).  I
think your comments have a lot to say.

>     Sounds like you heard a drum and bugle corps or a corps style band.
>     When I was young (25 years back) I marched in a corps and being

I dont understand the finer points of either, but Im up for posing a
question on the list if you are up for answering it.  I personally
would really like to understand the US perspective of a brass
ensemble.  I chose the term carefully else captain ludd and his crew
will assume brit-style brass band. (Ive assumed you are US based -
apologies if I got it wrong as usual!)

>     trombonist I was given the 2-valve Bass-Baritone Bugle.  Yes we
>     also had contra-Basses and in the middle section we carried what
>     were called french horn bugles and mellophones as well.  Top voice
>     was referred to as soprano which trumpet players would play.

Yep, these boys I heard carried a couple of those...

>     also had a couple of flugel-bugles.  Later the movemnt evolved and
>     allow 3 valve complete chromatic horns for the first time.  Around
>     the same time, a Euphonium bugle was introduced which was like the
>     old Bass-Baritone, but larger yet in bore and more conical with a
>     12" Bell.  I've only had a blow on one of these once for less than
>     an hour, but I was impressed.  Trombone bugles have also been made
>     which were brighter than the Bass-Baritones, so drum corps did it

I think that the luddites in the British Brass band movement would
turn in their graves which they arent even in yet, but I personally
would like to hear more about the style and instrumentation.  If the
proposition on the floor is "HOW DO BRASS PLAYERS RAISE THEIR
COLLECTIVE PROFILE" or "WHAT CAN WE DO TO RAISE THE BRITISH BRASS BAND
PROFILE IN THE EYES OF THE GENERAL PUBLIC" Im all for constructive
debate.  Could we <gasp> LEARN from the US? (or elsewhere)?
Rhetorical: Did RB Hall, Rimmer, Sousa et al actually have something?
(i.e theres more to a march than "left right left right" although of
course that is fundamental)

>     right in our octave and came out with all three familes just like
>     brass band.  The mellophone is also used very commonly in marching
>     bands over here taken up by french horn players and has largely
>     transplanted the use of alto horns (tenor horns by the BB std.).
>     They project better than the alto horns.  They're almost more of
>     an alto fluglehorn - more conical bigger bell.  They were first
>     used by Kenton in the early 60s - West Side Story albumn is the
>     classic example, but there were a few other equally juicy
>     recordings in what was called the Mellophonium band period.  So
>     I guess it is like the high register use of the Bb Euphonium,
>     but more an alto voice than tenor.  It's not a great deal unlike
>     a Bell-Front Eb Euphonium - never seen a high Eb Eupho, but I
>     guess there were some made somewhere...

John, I hope you dont mind me using huge wads of your quote, but the
info is interesting to me and may be so to others.  If however they've
stopped reading by now and started typing nastygrams, thats their
problem.  I also note your comments about marching but given the
ferocity of feeling by the Aussie contingent over the olympics, Ive
decided to "let it be" for now.  Anyone know a good arrangement for
that, BTW?

Best regards

Steve Larwood, Euphonium, Melbourne Town Band
http://www.mtb-brassband.com