Re: Brass in school etc.

Mark Smith wrote:

> It is only brass bands that advocate the treble clef for lower pitched
> instruments. Although this may make some sense for players to make the
> transition from one valved instrument to another, it is different for the
> trombone.

Simply untrue.  Bass clarinetists (except in Germany) read treble
clef, as do baritone sax players.  Classical guitarists also read
treble even though their instrument sounds an octave lower.

With the wind instruments the rationale is exacly the same as in
bands - it allows players to move from smaller to larger instruments
without undue difficulty.

As a trumpet player I have learnt to transpose at sight into every
possible key on trumpets of at least four different sizes.  I don't
see why learning two clefs should be any bother at all; after all,
pianists do it simultaneously.

David