Re: OK Boys & Girls, open your minds for a fresh view.

> I think that the luddites in the British Brass band movement would
> turn in their graves which they arent even in yet, but I personally
> would like to hear more about the style and instrumentation.  If the
> proposition on the floor is "HOW DO BRASS PLAYERS RAISE THEIR
> COLLECTIVE PROFILE" or "WHAT CAN WE DO TO RAISE THE BRITISH BRASS BAND
> PROFILE IN THE EYES OF THE GENERAL PUBLIC" Im all for constructive
> debate.

If anyone is interested in these instruments you can check them out
here:

http://members.aol.com/kanstulmus/index.html

There's both 'marching' and 'bugle'. Both appear ideal for standing in
the middle of a football pitch and aiming at the stands in order to
inflict maximum damage.

Incidently; it appears that the famous Mr Sousa felt that low brass
should be bell-up. A quote from the early 1920s:

"...the Sousaphone received its name through a
suggestion made by me to J.W. Pepper, the instrument
manufacturer of Philadelphia, full 30 odd years ago.
At that time, the United States Marine Band of Washington,
D.C., of which I was conductor, used a BBb bass tuba of
circular form known as a "Helicon".  It was all right
enough for street-parade work, but its tone was apt to
shoot ahead too prominently and explosively to suite me
for concert performances..."

Calling the current American instrument a 'Sousaphone' would seem to be
a little ironic.

There is a picture of a 'real' one here along with the quote:
http://www.jwpepper.com/history/sousa.html

I think American marching bands provide a valuable outlet for those
musicians inclined to high-step dancing while wearing white shoes, capes
and lashings of gold braid topped of with feather and fur adorned
headgear.

They are also useful in giving audible clues to help sports fans find
their way back to the stadium from the toilet break which becomes
essential the instant one of these groups is sighted forming up at the
side of the field.

Britain needs these groups. I feel a movement beginning.

All the best,
Tom