Re: Brass in school etc.

On Sat, 02 Oct 1999 at 02:55:05 +0100, David Taylor wrote:
> >Low C (concert) on a BBb bass requires 9 (!!) leger lines below
> >it, with pedal notes (are they used?) more than that.

> Um...no. It's just below the 2nd leger line. 9 leger lines would be an
> octave below the low D on 1+3+4 (is there anyone out there who can reach
> this note?!). Still, bass clef Bb Bass parts *do* have too many leger
> lines.

I've thought about it more carefully - OK, I was exaggerating, but it's
still 6 leger lines: The BBb sounds 2+ octaves (a sixteenth) below
treble-clef 'written' pitch. This means that written 'middle C' - i.e. 1
leger line below the clef - is concert BBb, which is on two leger lines
below the bass clef.

The low D (i.e. concert CCC, 1+3+4) is a 7th below this, and in fact
requires 6 leger lines: (I'd have put this in a GIF attachment if the
mailing list machine didn't mangle such things):

	 Mid C   Top C   Low D

		 b O
-***--------------------------------------------
*---*-:-----------------------------------------
----*-------------------------------------------
---*--------------------------------------------
-**---------------------------------------------
	  ---	     ---
	  ---	     ---
	 b O	      ---
			  ---
			  ---
			  ---

That's not to say you couldn't notate bass-cleff tuba parts up an
octave, like double-bass parts. I've never seen one of those; has anyone
else?

I've not much experience down in the sub-basement here - what's the
lowest BBb note that anyone knows about in the Brass Band repertoire?
I've already met that low D in my first couple of practices.

Ian
Recent recruit to BBb, City of Cambridge Band