Re: Marches + more twaddle

David Taylor wrote:

>  David Lancaster <d.lancaster@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
> >
> >Sonata form was only defined and classified after
> >Beethoven's death, so he can hardly have 'taken it' - it
> >was a common understanding that this was how first
> >movements were put together,
>
> This seems to me to be a definition - even if it is informal (which is
> the best way to have it - defining music exactly hinders originality, as
> it emphasises one way in the composer's mind to the exclusion of
> others).

I'll buy that; I was trying to emphasise that way of thinking rather
than the 'jelly mould approach' which pre-supposes that composers
simply take ready made forms and pour in their ideas.  I had only
mounted my high horse when I read your earlier definition of marches
which seemed to stress form rather than content - in the best works
they would seem to be inseparable.

(DL).  But the best writers always break
> >the mould: consider The Cossack, Black Knight (both Rimmer), Knight
> >Templar and Mephistopheles - I've deliberately chosen well known ones
> >- and I'm sure that you'll agree that they hardly conform to your
> >definition of 'a string of unrelated tunes'.  They're so much more
> >than that!

(DT) > I can only recall Knight Templar with any accuracy at the
moment, and
> yes it does have thematic linkages, and the various sections complement
> each other nicely, making a well rounded piece, with a whole greater
> than the sum of it's parts. Marches like these were one of the earliest
> musical things that really inspired me.

Then I strongly urge you to get to know the others!  (PS Am I alone
in thinking that Ravenswood is far from being Rimmer's best march -
there seems to be a lot of rather uninspired scalic writing - look
again at the bass solo...rant, rant, rant....)

I can't really help you about the 'kettle of fish' but I'm sure that
someone will.

Thanks for the debate!

David