Re: OK Boys & Girls, open your minds for a fresh view.

>From: "Tom Warner" <tom@xxxxxxxxx>
>> I think that the luddites in the British Brass band movement would
>> turn in their graves which they arent even in yet, but I personally
>> would like to hear more about the style and instrumentation.
>
> There's both 'marching' and 'bugle'. Both appear ideal for standing in
> the middle of a football pitch and aiming at the stands in order to
> inflict maximum damage.
>
> I think American marching bands provide a valuable outlet for those
> musicians inclined to high-step dancing while wearing white shoes, capes
> and lashings of gold braid topped of with feather and fur adorned
> headgear.
>
> They are also useful in giving audible clues to help sports fans find
> their way back to the stadium from the toilet break which becomes
> essential the instant one of these groups is sighted forming up at the
> side of the field.
>
> Britain needs these groups. I feel a movement beginning.

We already have them, unfortunately.

I encountered one of these bands last year who had hired a field at Warwick
to rehearse in the week before the British Championships (which they had won
the previous year - Southampton Marching Band I think).  They seemed to
rehearse most of the day (it was raining) making the most awful noise you
can imagine - zero tone quality, but very loud.  Their stamina was very
impressive, and the technical standard around 3rd section(ish), but the
tonal quality was WAY below that.  They danced well, though...

Strangely enough, they had their own coach AND instrument van - and smart
white uniforms of course, so there must be money coming from somewhere.

We did actually spend a certain amount of time being genuinely interested in
the various bass trumpets, mellophones and so on, but there doesn't seem to
be any attempt made to make them anything other than noise emitters with
valves, so we lost interest.

Best of all though, while we were watching, a trombonist split a note quite
prominently and the band sergeant made the entire section do press-ups.

Which links nicely to the 'inspiring a band' thread I feel...

Cheers,
Mac

--
Colin McDonald
Musical Director & Physical Trainer, Warwick University Brass Band