Re: Brass in school etc.

Ian Phillipps wrote:

> I've not much experience down in the sub-basement here - what's the
> lowest BBb note that anyone knows about in the Brass Band repertoire?
> I've already met that low D in my first couple of practices.

I haven't yet had the opportunity to play it yet, but I would imagine that
Revelation would have the lowest written BBb notes around at the moment. Don't
know what it is, though.
I would say that we're probably now reaching the extreme of the useful range of
the instrument. Low Ab (Gb concert) is reasonably reliable, but go down to a G
(F concert) and it's starting to get a bit dicey. Strangely enough, lower notes
are still possible on my big CC tuba, maybe the openness of it helps.
Perhaps it's time (in view of range developments in recent years) for a
Contrabass clef to bring in the subterranean notes within the stave? Especially
if publishers (not mentioning any names........... S.P.& S. - Isaiah 40.......)
insist on putting the whole piece on 2 pages and squeezing everything together.
:)

Cheers,
Ade