Re: PRS

Hi All,

I have been on this list for about twelve months now and I do not recall any
debate about the amount of PRS which bands have to pay annually to perform
at (and I quote) "at venues for which the Society has no
specific tariff and which are not premises or locations where music is
usually performed as part of a public entertainment, and are given at
processions, parades and similar functions of an ephemeral nature"

We, the SWT Woodfalls Band paid 85.45 last year.  This sum was determined
using a points calculation based on 1.) band status: Championship Band = 33
points, Non-Championship Band = 15 points;   2.) number of musicians: 36 or
more = 33 points, 35 musicians or fewer = 15 points and   3.) number of
performances: 12 or more = 33 points, 11 or fewer = 15 points.  The points
produce a minimum cost to bands of 33.87 and a maximum cost of  124.26 per
annum, depending on your total points.   These figures are quoted from PRS
Tariff "B" for Service & other Bands.

What brought my attention to Tariff B was a bill to hire the City Hall,
Salisbury.  We recently hired the hall for a concert and the invoice
included a PRS amount of 92.06.  At first I quibbled because I thought we
paid our PRS contributions annually.  It later transpired that the money we
pay only covers us for the above mentioned venues and that any performances
within concert halls etc. attract  their own PRS charges.  It also turns out
that the hall management have a discretionary right to pass on the cost of
PRS to the hirer - have any other bands come across this when hiring a
venue?   The PRS representative did, however, sympathise with what he
considered
to be a rather large charge for one concert.

I wonder if we could get a points reduction for having fewer than 6
musicians in the band :-))

Regards,

Brian Easterbrook
Hon. Sec. SWT Woodfalls Band