Re: [Baritones!]

Amanda Edson <AEdson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi List!
>

> It's not often I write to the list, but something has finally got to me
=2E

> After playing baritone for practically 16 years (apart from brief occas
ions
> on tenor horn and euphonium), I am sick to death of people taking the p
***.
> Comments such as, "Oh you're only a baritone player" and "sometimes eve
> baritone players count as musicians" eventually grind on your nerves yo
> know.

etc etc

Dear Amanda,

Have you heard this one ?

Q.  What is the range or the baritone ?

A.  About 100 yards if you have a strong right arm.

OR  Q.  What is the syllabus for grade VIII baritone ?

    A.  Holding it from memory.

How we laughed

Also, with regard to the fascinating discussion of BBb basses and how man
leger lines are required to confuse the operators, it seems to me an infi
nite
arguement since in my experience however low the notes on the part are th
buggers will still try to play them down an octave. Therefore the answer
the question "how low can a BBb bass player go ?" will always be "lower t
han
you can possibly imagine".

Murray Aitken
BBb bass and baritone(grade VIII [failed])
Chad Valley Silver Band