Re: Baritones!

Mand (and list)

I actually saw a terrific rendition of the Laurel & Hardy duet "On the
trail of the Lonesome Pine" last weekend - 1st & Second Barra - and
the lower part needed a 4 valve Baritone.  Dont see many of those tha
knows.  (The upper part appeared to need a sop at the end but thats
another story...)

And scary, it was John Davis' Riddings Band doing it.  Not an um-chuck
to be seen either!

I once dep'ed 2nd Barra for Forresters and didnt see any reason for
ridicule in the part.  Bolero was one of the pieces as a Barra solo
and 2nd was not just um-chucking.  Sounds like the Euph player you
knew was just intent on getting us other Euph players a bad name.  And
anyway, in my band we get what I call "the ritual humiliation of the
Euphoniums" so I guess its just a form of bullying.  With you its 2nd
barra.  With me its Euph.  We must just be natural "victims" <grin>.

Steve Larwood, Euphonium
Melbourne Town Band http://www.mtb-brassband.com