Re: Looking for scores

Douglas Yeo wrote:

> The New England Brass Band was recently given a bag of brass band music
> which contains many old marches, tone poems and such.  Mostly published by
> R. Smith in the 1930's and 40's, there are some fine pieces among them
> which we would like to perform and possibly record.

Great idea - I'd love to hear this!.

> Two works in particular are of interest to me, however they are
> lacking any kind of conductor score (full, short or expanded solo cornet).
> A query to R. Smith indicates that they have been out of print for many
> years and that the master plates were lost during the War.  If anyone knows
> where we might be able to secure a copy of the score, which would save us
> the considerable trouble of reconstructing one from the parts, we would be
> most grateful:
>
> Denis Wright: Symphonic Poem "The White Rider" (R. Smith 1091)
> Hubert Bath: Tone Poem - "Honour and Glory" (R Smith 2058)
>
> FYI, the only recording of "Honour and Glory" I have been able to locate is
> one I have on a tape made from a BBC radio broadcast in 1982 by the Morris
> Motors Band; I am unaware of any recording of the "White Rider".  Any
> thoughts on existing recordings of each work?

I have a recording of Wingates playing Honour and Glory which dates
from the thirties, I think, but know of no recordings of White Rider.
I will e-mail you privately with the address of Maud Wright, Denis'
widow who would be delighte to know of our interest and who would
certainly know of any recordings in existence...

David

Musical Director:
The Harrogate Band
01765 608211 (home)