Instruments and accessories, etc.

Having taken up playing again after 25 years am I alone in wondering why
brass instruments have not improved or changed  much in recent years
compared to the progress made in every thing else. It is nearly 200 years
since Halliday developed his chromatic bugle horn with valves or keys,then a
Derbyshire farmer John Shaw, I believe, made a trumpet with four button-type
piston followed by dutchman Embach who reduced the valves to three.
Wigglesworth's a W.Yorks. firm also made their own version. Then there was
Adoph Sax and his saxhorn with pistons.   Since those days the principle has
not altered.  As we near the end of this century I still seem to be plagued
by sluggish sticking valves after trying varying makes of oil. One even
stinks like paraffin and made me dizzy .  Best so far (fingers crossed) is a
Pro-Oil Hybrid (but you have to wash and get the instrument bone dry before
applying).   Now the mad (?) suggestion. When is some genius going to invent
an electronic valve...that just needs a slight touch...from a material that
does not stick in the casing ?  Another query...why do our instruments cost
so much in the U.K.; is it because of the lottery bonanza, etc.  I was
quoted 236 for a cornet mouthpiece that cost $200 in the USA. ....(I bought
a nice Denis Wick for twenty quid).!   And finally would it be any use
selling my BMW (1987 model) for cash towards a new flugel....would I sound
any better ?   Oh yes,and  can anyone tell if Yamaha silent brass is any
good, as I am concerned for my neighbours since practicing once again (three
families have moved....one lot to France....and I,m not that bad).  One
joker in the family gave me an album of Harry Mortimer solos and one day I
was having a go at "Flight of the Bumble Bee" (well the notes said it is
"comparatively easy" if the fingering is followed as marked)..and a passing
lady stopped and asked my wife (digging the garden at the time) "what is the
funny noise" ? I was very upset, of course, but will press on regardless.
Any advice much appreciated. Regards to all. David Williams.