Re: Baritones!

Off the top of my head, I can think of several pieces with very
important baritone parts.  Montage, Variations on a Ninth, Cloudcatcher
Fells (2 whole notes of unaccompanied 2nd baritone!!!) and Tristan
Encounters spring to mind without even thinking about it.  Also, it's
rubbish that only modern composers cater for these so-called lesser
instruments.  Just look how important the baritones are at the beginning
of the 2nd movement of Pageantry (written in the 1930s).  And to any
bass trombonists who complain about how older test pieces have boring
parts, I assume they have never played Epic Symphony.  Still the only
test piece I have ever come across to contain anything which can even
remotely be described as a bass trombone cadenza.
--
Tim Morgan, Bass Trombone, Woolley Pritchard Sovereign Brass.