Baritones!

Firstly, to all those of you who have shown support, THANKS.  You wouldn't
believe how much stick I've had about this, people saying I'm just a
whinging woman (no offence Tim!).

But I've been asked, quite rightly, to make it clear that our solo euph
(Woolley Pritchard) has never had a go at me for only being a baritone
player.  This happened in a previous band I was a member of in the not too
distant past.  That particular euph player had become a tad starstruck after
appearing in a film about brass bands!!

I love playing the baritone, if I didn't I wouldn't have played it for so
long, and we do get some lovely parts written for us in test pieces, even
2nd baritone.  Sparke's 'Partita' is superb!!!  It's mainly in concert
programmes where 2nd bari has little to play - this is when I get fed up!
Someone mentioned Rusalka's Song to the Moon and the 2nd bari part takes
some playing with some stunning chords in the lower register.  But couldn't
we do with more of this?

The baritone has a lovely tone (not one of a cow with constipation as I was
once informed!) and I just think it would be nice to hear it more often.  I
always think when you speak to someone who doesn't know much about brass
bands, they've heard of cornets/trumpets, 'tubas', horns, trombones and some
even euphs.  When I tell people I play a baritone they usually say, "I
thought that was a voice".  Doesn't this say something?

The debate, no doubt, continues. (Sorry Tim).

Mand
2nd bari, Woolley Pritchard Sovereign Brass