Re: Pedals

> John Szkutko wrote:
>
> > As for a practical use for these notes, i'm not too sure about it.
Playing
> > the bottom octave in tandem with the other tubas is a very workable
option
> > that gives "balls" to a band.
>
> One important thing to remember is that the "pedal" notes have to be bang
in
> tune with the upper octave to be effective, and used sparingly.
> I often cringe when I hear bass players in even some of the best bands use
> pedals when either the music doesn't call for it, or it doesn't fit the
> structure of the chord. Fortunately, most players are beginning to wise up
and
> are not overusing the extreme low register as was the case maybe 10-15
years
> ago.
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian

My sentiments exactly! It's a wonderful sound when the octaves are in tune.
It's happened on the odd occasion in my band. I actually thought the young
kid next to me on EEb tuba was playing down the octave with my written "low"
stuff. He said he wasn't. IT WAS IN TUNE!!!!! and sounded awesome.

If there is a strain or phrase repeated, the "second" time would be the
better time to take it down the octave.

One of my pet peeves is listening to CD's of the great bands where just
about the entire piece is played down the octave on a BBb tuba (bass). No
musical sense! It's like makeup, use it sparingly, in the right places and
enhance the piece/performance.

There should be more low stuff, but as the saying goes, sometimes less is
more.

Who from this list is going to the TubaMania Conference in December this
year? Let's get together and put faces/voices to the names here.

Regards

John Szkutko